Sunday, November 2, 2014

Back in Memphis - Nov 2, 2014

We're here!!!  Two safe flights and we arrived without any issues.   Kayla and I  are all checked in and unpacked in our room at the tri-delta house (formerly grizzly house).

Since we had some time to ourselves tonight, we decided to walk over to the Kay Cafe inside of the hospital to get some salads for dinner.  I was anxious to get ahold of my friend Jenny to give hugs and connect.  We haven't seen each other since our girls were in treatment here.  I am very very worried about her daughter, Phoebe.  She is once again going through an incredibly hard battle.  The good news is that she is starting to show sides of her feisty "true" self again which is an incredibly good sign. I call it mommy medicine!  If you haven't followed Jenny's blog yet, you should.  She is such a fantastic writer and could really use all of the support she can get right now.    As soon as we walked into the hospital, there they were!!!! Jenny and her oldest daughter, Mae.  (Mae and Anthony used to play when we were all living here)  Oh what a great surprise that was! Incredible timing.  I hope to see much more of them while we are here.

This is sweet and incredible Phoebe with her mommy, Jenny.

 Home away from home

I was feeling so many mixed emotions being back here taking updated photos in front of our favorite places.  As always,  it didn't take long until I was struck again with the "St Jude perspective".  A good ol' gut wrenching reminder to continue fighting for these precious kids.  Probably one of the hardest things for me to see here is an ambulance in-front of the ICU entrance.  Never a good sign.  It always turns my stomach to knots remembering how much of an emergency it often is for patients to get here.  I am grateful that is not us. Not tonight.

Tomorrow we will be at the hospital at 8 am starting with blood work and an IV for Kayla's contrast Brain MRI.  She will spend 3 hours with Psychology.  After, she will also have her hearing checked and hearing aids adjusted if necessary.  Finally, our first day at the hospital will end with the always nerve wracking MRI.  It is scheduled for 3:30pm Memphis time.  PLEASE keep Kayla in your thoughts and prayers that all is stable still.  We will get the results from her MRI on Tuesday. Tuesday, she will also be having a laser procedure on both eyes to "hopefully" clear up the rest of the cataracts.

Thank you so much to all of you who have been sending all of the kind letters, emails, texts etc. I am reading them all. THANK YOU.  We love our Army of support more than you can even imagine.  You all are amazing.

I will keep you posted......


  1. Thinking of you and praying for you! xoxo, Chelsea

  2. Thoughts and prayers for Kayla and all of you! NEGU! >>>>>HUGS DARLING<<<<< love ya! ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤