Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Surgery Info

Hello everyone. We had a productive day today! I'm glad you liked the pics. I will take a bunch more tomorrow.

The MRI:

The MRI went well. Jenn, tell Carli that Kayla had the bubble gum smelling "goofy gas". We didn't get to pick, but it was all good! Denny and I were told to go in about 2 hours after it started. Kayla woke up really well. She was drowsy as to be expected but didn't cry or fuss at all. She did look a little different with all the probes on her head. (the probes will remain there until surgery) I just kept reminding her that food would be coming and that kept her wanting to wake up. The poor thing was STARVING! About an hour later, they wheeled her up to her room and we waited for her huge breakfast to be delivered. Yes, it was 3:45, but the kid had been thinking of breakfast since she woke up. I'm not kidding you when I say she ordered just about everything on that menu. When the food came, she sat up immediately and ate like she's never eaten before. I said to her, "is that the BEST pancake you've ever eaten in your life?" Kayla's eyes got wide while she nodded. She never stopped chewing and didn't even look up. She just said, "oh yeah... this is the best pancake I've ever had". We all know that feeling!  haha. Poor kid!

The Doc arrives to give us the scoop:

First of all, can I just say we love this man?  He really is soooo awesome. Not many neurosurgeons have a good bedside manor. He is wonderful! He always takes his time and you never ever feel like he's rushing you to "get it". He is thorough and will explain things over and over if you need him to. He is kind to Kayla and we find him often stopping his sentence to listen to her and nodding and smiling while she asks 100 questions. She really is a funny kid.

What he saw in this MRI was pretty much what we thought he would see. Everything looks about the same. I won't bore you with the medical details. The nitty gritty is that she will have surgery on Thursday Morning at 7:30. It will last until about 3-4:00pm and then she will be in ICU for at least 2 days. It's going to be a long LONG day. We will be getting updates hourly. There will be a pathologist to give us their best guess on whether the tumor is benign or malignant. It's only a "guess" though. Nothing is concrete like a biopsy.

Tomorrow:

Tomorrow will be wonderful! They took her IV out because she won't need it until Thursday. She will be free to play in the play room and do arts and crafts all day. We can watch a movie or do what ever we want. One thing for sure, we will have a tour of the surgery center, the ICU and all the areas that will be like a home to us for the 48 hours to follow. Tomorrow is our day to just be with her. To enjoy all the wonderful things about Kayla that make her who she is. I'm not going to lie. There will be some recovery time where she will have some challenges and a lot of physical therapy "PT" to get her back to her old self. We were told that the struggles she will have post op should all be temporary.
If things go well, it might be a week after surgery before she is cleared to come home. We are praying this is the case. So, tomorrow will be a day filled with giggles, stories, hugs and a lot of deep breathing to prepare us for what is to come.

While we were waiting today during Kayla's MRI, we logged onto the blog so I could figure out the commenting issues in the settings.  Our jaws dropped as we saw that there have been over 2,700 views. That is just incredible to me. It goes to show the power of thought. We can all relate to stories like this. If anything, it gives us a new way to look at our relationships. The power to strengthen our love. If anything, I hope we all learn to let the little things go. I know after this... being late for work, hearing my kids screaming at each other or spilling coffee on my shirt will be the bad day I could only hope for. Hug your loved ones. Hug them tight. Because in a flash, things can change.

31 comments:

  1. Great news that things are as expected. I know many of us keep hitting refresh to see how things are going. Kayla is an incredible girl and will show us all how to approach things. Have an incredible day tomorrow-- and then imagine when this is all over and she is back to her "normal" life, feeling great and dressing Anthony up and fixing his hair. All the best! Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad things went as expected, and so pleased to hear that she's in such good and loving hands. I'm sure the doc and everyone there is in love with Miss Kayla already! Soak up enough fun and joy tomorrow to nourish and strengthen you all through the following day. Through this experience, little Kayla is changing all our perspectives and lives in a big, big way. And you are, too--your grace is overflowing to us all. Many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending our love and prayers to you all. You are so right about the small stuff and truly appreciating and loving each other everyday. Kayla is such a strong and brave girl. She is lucky to have you as her support system. Please let us know if we can help in any way. The Chabans

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Annie, Denny, Kayla and Anthony,

    Our thoughts and prayers are with you every day as you are going though this. You will be especially in our prayers on Thursday as I can only imagine it will seem like the longest day ever. If there is anything, I mean anything you need please just call or text and I will make sure it gets done. Love you all, Teresa, Ava and Matthew

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy tomorrow will be your giggle day. Sending you all much strength. I know Thursday wil be a long day for all of you. I remember my dads 11 hr surgery there and how great the whole surgical team was to our family. I am keeping life simple and praying, for all of u Many hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Annie, I'm so glad you will have today with Kayla. Enjoy every second! I know you see the good in the experience because of your positivity. There are blessings in this life experience. You will definitely relish those things that used to irritate you. They are all small things. We are all thinking of you, Denny and Kayla and are so proud of Kayla for being so strong and a champ!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Continuing to keep you all in our prayes. Much love, The Hays Family

    ReplyDelete
  8. DANG I bet that pancake was good! Annie I commend you on your positivity, it radiates through you and everything around you and your family. I'm so incredibly proud of you. You in a short time have found the "silver lining" to celebrate the milestones and the "gigglefest" that will be today and deal with what lies ahead when that time comes. You are amazing and in my thoughts and prayers! Kayla is in wonderful hands, I had similar experiences with my doctors with Matthew and it makes all the difference to have the right doctor supporting you physically as well as psychologically. And for Kayla a WARM Dr. will certainly make her smile and take the stress off it for her. I'm so happy for you all that your Dr. possesses skill and compassion. To a FUN day and a successful surgery on Thursday, we are here for you. Psuedo Aunt Koko & MattyP would love some AJ time, please call if AJ wants to play here and hit the park with us or have a sleepover with the boys, I would be happy to provide a little normalcy on some degree for him! Mwah I love you! Kolleen

    ReplyDelete
  9. We all talk about you and think about you throughout the day. Your positivity (is that even a word?) is such amazing modeling and a great reminder to really, not sweat the small things.
    I look forward to your updates, and thoughts, and Kayla just makes me smile in all her pictures. May the light shine with you all over the next few days and weeks. Love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kayla ia such an amazing girl. Continued prayers for you all. You are never out of my thoughts. All of you are such an inspiration with your positive energy. Xoxo. Jean

    ReplyDelete
  11. Annie - I have been thinking about and praying for you, Kayla, Anthony and Denny every day since I found out. You are an amazingly strong woman and have just a wonderful and positive family. I read every day to get the updates on Kayla as you and your family are never far from my thoughts. It sounds like Kayla is in the best possible hands. I will be especially and thinking and praying for al of you tomorrow morning. Ryan and I are here for you and your family - if you need anything; whether it be now, or in a few weeks, whenever - we will be there! Love to you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've had two people come to me about how awesome Dr. Gupta is. They have nothing but wonderful things to say about him.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Annie I don't know how you are doing all this and still manage to post such amazing entries. I volunteered in the classroom today and Anthony is his normal silly self. Somehow on top of all this you are still able to protect him and keep his daily routine as normal as possible. You really are a super mom and stronger than anyone should have to be. Thanks for all the great updates.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Isnt that the truth. But Annie is truly amazing in every way possible, under any possible situation. LOVE HER!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Annie, Denny, and dear sweet Kayla,
    Alexis, your fellow Angry Bird, and her family are thinking of you. We are so impressed with how brave you all are, and we know things are going to be just fine. It sounds like you could not be in better hands there at UCSF!! Alexis's daddy went to Physical Therapy school there and says it is the BEST hospital! We are so happy that you were able to discover the problem and now you about to fix it. We can't wait to see you soon. We will bring you a treat when you're back home in Novato! You are such a wonderful family!! Thinking of you!!
    xoxoxoxo Amy, BG, Alexis and Peyton Weiss

    ReplyDelete
  16. 2700 views and about a million thoughts and prayers for you all .... will be with you in spirit every hour of Thursday! Joe & Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  17. A gigglefest - perfect! Though in the hospital, it can be quite an adventure for a child with all the new things, helpful play attendants, and family around. Annie and Denny, you are doing such a fantastic job of keeping it all moving along in such a positive, supportiving way. As always, thinking of you all the time and sending healing love to Kayla, and all. Auntie Ann, Uncle Ev and Cousin Will

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Kayla,
    you will be in our thoughts tomorrow and we know that you will be fine and everything will be okay. It HAS TO be:)
    Sepeatom says hello and everyone misses you. They are planning a fun welcome back party for you in your classroom ( and I'll bring some yummy cupcakes!)You just get better and hurry back to us.
    Annie, you are in my thoughts and I am saying a prayer as I am walking all day. I can only imagine how you must be feeling. I have rallied up a group of friends and my family all sending as many prayers and positive thoughts as they can to surround Kayla tomorrow as she is wheeled into that surgery room and these thoughts and prayers will stay with her in there, while you are doing the same thing in the waithing room. \
    Just know that we are thinking of you and wish you all the best and strongest!! of luck.
    Be strong and God bless.
    Laila and Sepeatom

    ReplyDelete
  19. Annie - Your updates are wonderfully written. Thank you for keeping us posted. We are praying for Kayla and your family. Stay strong! Sending Kayla, you, Denny and Anthony hugs, love and strength.... Good luck tomorrow sweet Kayla!

    Love, Anna, Sean, Ollie and Chase Pailhe

    ReplyDelete
  20. I woke up in the 4 o'clock hour with thoughts of Kayla. I am sending all of my positive thoughts Kayla's way for a successful surgery today. I have faith that she is in good hands. One day we will all look back at this time and remember our fears and anxieties and then be thankful at how things turned out ok. I loved seeing the pics of Kayla's smiling face on the blog and can't wait to see that face in person again. Sending hugs and kisses from the Wu Family to the Dehnert Family.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Annie, Denny and Kayla: My love and every fiber of my being is with you today. She has been on my mind nonstop and I am sending every ounce of strength, energy and love that I have to give to you all! I know that it's incredibly mind numbingly scary for you all and I want you to know that the family is behind you with whatever you need!!! You all inspire me and I know it's going to go great, because great things happen to great people and you are all beyond the level of great! LOVE YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wanted to send you love this morning with lots of thoughts and prayers coming your way. Kayla has been constantly on our minds as well as you and Denny. Wishing peace for you today as Kayla's surgery is underway. She is in the best hands and I know today will seem like an eternity until she is in recovery. We love you guys! xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Annie & Denny - Just wanted to drop you a note and let you know that many prayers are coming from Southern Cal as well this morning. We know things will turn out great today and that Kayla's great grandpa Frank is watching over Kayla. We love you all. Brad, Traci, Ivy & Skyler Nielsen.

    ReplyDelete
  24. OMG... My thoughts and prayers are with all of the Dehnert Family... (((HUGS))) to all of you... I just feel she'll be just fine.. Pls keep me posted... Luv, Lisa... <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  25. We will be thinking OF YOU and praying all day today. We LOVE YOU KAYLA YOUR AUNT T T UNCE VICTOR AND JESSIE

    ReplyDelete
  26. Praying for you today, for peace for each of you & for complete healing for Kayla. You are a precious family, courageous, strong, hopeful & faithful. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I hope all goes well! I keep checking the blog and facebook for updates! Our family is praying for your family. I just have a good feeling that all will be okay. But I know as a parent it won't feel okay until you know its done, the results and she is well. Hang in there!!! Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger. She is in Gods hands =) Love Krysta

    ReplyDelete
  28. Our deepest and most focused prayers surround all of you. God bless your beautiful hearts. Much love, Mary Hoburg and family

    ReplyDelete
  29. so good to see you all home in your wonderful house where you can all heal together. There is no place like home.

    Much Love, Cathy And Walter

    ReplyDelete
  30. Kayla,
    Hope you are feeling better! Not sure you know who I am, but I am Cathryn Carle's (formerly Colt) husband. Hope you are getting lot's of ice cream and cookies in the hospital and having fun playing with your brother.

    Keep feeling better...

    Bye,
    Walter Carle

    ReplyDelete
  31. Kayla,
    Even better, your home now!

    Take care,
    Walter & Cathryn

    ReplyDelete